Clear all

[Sticky] Introduce Yourself!

Page 1 / 4

DaveDeckard
Admin
Topic starter
(@davedeckard)

Hello, Light of the Spirit folks!

In this forum thread you can greet each other, say hello, and share a bit of your personal story! Who are you? What brought you here? What do you like to do? How do you see God? Talk about anything you want and respond to each other as well! The best part is, nobody can say, "Well I've been here UMPTEEN YEARS," because guess what? We just opened! So let's redo the old, stale church greeting thing and get to know each other, celebrating the journeys that brought us here.

Obligatory reminder: this is a public forum so please don't disclose personal data and stuff.

34 Replies
bri41476
(@bri41476)

OMIGOSH! I'm the first one! *prances gleefully around the forum*

Ok, now that I have that out of my system, my name is Brian. The boring stuff is that I'm an accountant, married, no kids, 2 dogs, a cat, and some fish (or at least had some fish last time I checked the pond...). The more exciting stuff is what I love to do.

In not-so-inclement weather, I LOVE to mountain bike. I took up mountain biking a couple of years ago, and it was like I found my one true way to lose myself. It's hard, takes concentration, and I've never had a "something" that I could just feel the stress of anything melt from my body just driving toward the mountain with my trusty steed tied in the bed of my truck. Last year, I did the Boise Trails Challenge, which is about 170 miles of random required sections of trail around the area...in a month. That was insane and I can't wait to do it again this year! I now need a ride.

I also love to sew. When it's cold and I can't get outside...or if it's too hot and I can't convince myself that sweating that much is worth it...I sew. Not clothing, generally, though. I'm a constructor of quilt tops. There's a reason I don't claim to be a quilter - ask me later and I might expound on the reason I don't claim that title. I also teach sewing classes from time to time at a little shop in Boise. We have 4 sewing machines in the house, one of which is a serger, and another is an embroidery machine. It's hypnotic to watch the embroidery machine work - another way to lose myself after a rough day.

I also like to cook, but if given the option, I won't. I LOVE to eat, though, so if it looks tasty you might want to back away slowly...

As we go along, you'll find out more about me and my interests - I can't go giving away all my secrets up front, you know!

I look forward to getting to "know" all of you as we embark on this new adventure!

2 Replies
Hannah
(@hannah)

@bri41476 Glad to meet you! I'm curious to know the reason you don't consider yourself a quilter. I have attempted a few basic quilts with my mom and aunt (Rosanna and Verna, also members of this group) and I think it is so fun to have a project that keeps me preoccupied for some time. This past summer I finished a quilt made of almost all my old sorority t-shirts, and BOY was it fun to work on! I'm so impressed by experienced and talented quilters and sewers. 🙂

bri41476
(@bri41476)

@hannah Haha! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread. Holy cow, time flies when you're buried at work!

Congratulations on your quilt - it's so much fun when things turn out cool. And it's particularly awesome when you can showcase things - like your sorority shirts - that mean a lot to you. 

I don't consider myself a quilter, because...technicalities... The quilting occurs AFTER the top is built, as that's the part when the back, the batting, and the top all become one thing. I quilt by check -- I'm pretty bad at the actual quilting part, and I just don't have the patience to practice enough to get to the point I would consider passable. Seriously - I draw a stick man and people wonder if it's a dog with no ears...possibly a flower...you get the idea. 😉 I do love to build a nice quilt top, though and pay someone else to quilt it (hence, quilt by check - haha!). I'm going to try to attach a photo of one of the most recent quilt tops I've finished. I built a very similar quilt a few years ago and auctioned it off for charity. I decided I wanted one just like it, so I built this as a "for me" replacement - plus, I want to teach the technique, so I needed a demo piece! 

cetiger
(@cetiger)
Eminent Member

Hello!  How did a 70-yr-old retiree in Minnesota get here?  I have "connections."  Our son Justin partners with Pastor Dave to produce the Geek and Greek podcasts every week.  I inquired for more info when Dave mentioned that this online community was in the works, because my home church is looking at ways to use online platforms to reach more people, and now here I am.

My bio: Married, 5 children and 8 grandchildren. Born into a Jewish family; baptized in 1st yr at U of IL, 1968. BS in Math '71; M.Div '75, Lutheran pastor '75-80; IBM mainframe support rep at John Deere 1980-2014. Interests: people, poetry, gardening, music, Bible studies, social progress/justice and much else. Non-judgmental, always willing to listen.

Blessings to you and yours this day.

1 Reply
bri41476
(@bri41476)

@cetiger So glad to "meet" you! I've not met Justin in person, but I've listened to a fair number of the Geek and Greek podcasts, and I'm definitely curious just where he came from (in the best possible way).

Your life path sounds fascinating and I look forward to swapping gardening stories with you. Any chance you have suggestions on how to "fix" the dirt (it's definitely not soil) in the half of my garden that doesn't grow anything? I've amended it every year since we moved in (2016), and it still just doesn't want to grow stuff. Should I just haul it away and replace it with a topsoil blend?

Anyway, great to meet you, and I look forward to getting to know you!

cetiger
(@cetiger)
Eminent Member

Great to meet you too, Brian!  Justin was born and raised in the Quad Cities on the Mississippi River, mainly on the Illinois side (Rock Island & Moline) (the Iowa side is Davenport & Bettendorf).  I read your intro with great interest; my wife is an avid quilter/sewer (ewww, but how else do you refer to someone who loves to sew?) who just upgraded to a computerized machine.  Everyone in our family (there are six of us in our COVID bubble here) loves to cook -- I'm more of a sushi/Thai/Indian guy while my wife seems to prefer traditional American fare.

Regarding your dirt.  (1) Does Idaho have county extension services that offer free soil analysis?  If not, maybe BSU offers that?  Or if there's a Master Gardener program in your area, one of them might consult with you about your dirt.  (2) I don't know the difference between dirt and soil - we have good soil here in the Midwest - but when I think it needs enriching, I get some sacks of peat and manure, and mix liberal amounts into what was already in the ground.  But maybe that's what you meant by amending it since 2016.  (3) I have gotten dramatic results by mixing in a few sacks of Vigoro or similar enriched soil (but that's a bit more cost).  We invested in a 6x8' greenhouse last summer, to keep the rabbits and birds away from our greens.  So a mouse got in there and ate everything - LOL!

Good luck, let me know how it goes!

2 Replies
bri41476
(@bri41476)

@cetigerHey, thanks for the suggestions! By amending, I mean what you described. The problem is that I'm amending the dirt we have, a mix of non-organic powder and clay, which doesn't hold water or really do anything else but get hard after it's wet. So now I have something that kind of looks like it could be soil, but I think it is gonna take some more serious amending to actually fix the lack of organics problem.

By the way, the greenhouse idea you described and your results made me laugh a bit! It sounds just like what I'd expect to happen here...except probably squirrels instead of mice. Haha!

Have a great week!

cetiger
(@cetiger)

Eminent Member

@bri41476 Hi Brian.  A mix of non-organic powder (???) and clay does not sound promising for growing vegetables.  How deep does that run?  I think you should have real soil at least three feet deep.  Good luck!

WhitneyS
(@whitneys)

Hello All! 

I meet Paster Dave when I started helping the church navigate through the waters of Facebook's ad platform in January of 2020 - just before the world fell apart. 

Now, Dave and I do a podcast together about raising healthy, happy well-rounded kids through a place of healthy relationships, love, and faith. 

I grew up in the south. When I was small, my parents moved from Fresno, Ca. to northeast Arkansas. My introduction to faith was an unusual blend of my mother being an erstwhile catholic and brutal southern fundamentalism where I heard such things as, "You better be nice or you'll never catch a husband." (Enter Elmer Fudd saying, "Stay berry quiet - we're hunting husbands.")

I became a mom at 20 and 22 while I was in college (waaaay to young) but am grateful every day. My youngest daughter was born in the midst of the recession and, as a result, I changed my major from PR/Communications to English Education. To earn my degree, I learned a lot about child brain development, child psychology, and early child development. In other words, I learn how kids' brains work, what motivates them, and how to modify their behavior without resorting to screaming and spanking. 

While I've never spent time outside my internship teaching kids, I am grateful that God brought me down a path I would have never chosen for myself. The result is that I learned the skills I needed to raise my children through a lens of resilience and emotional intelligence (most days - we're all only human). 

Today, I work in marketing for a nonprofit that helps vulnerable kids who have experienced trauma and/or toxic family dynamics that have left them struggling with everything from suicidal thoughts and depression to all-out acting out and dangerous behaviors. I love it (usually). 

I am now a mother of three (I thought it would be fun to have a child on purpose and see what it's like to hear people say "Congratulations" instead of "Congratulations?"). 

My husband and I live in Middleton, Idaho not far from my parents, two brothers, nephew, and aunt and uncle (yes, I know, we travel in packs). 

Can't wait to meet all of you. 

Page 1 / 4
Share: