The Official Light ...

Notifications
Clear all

The Official Light of the Spirit ASK ANYTHING Thread

DaveDeckard
Admin
Topic starter
(@davedeckard)

Hello, all! This is the place to ask any questions you care to ask about faith or life. We don't know if we can answer them, but we all can ponder together and...who knows? Maybe your question will become part of a sermon or 2-Minute Tuesday video someday!

Have you ever wondered something about God, life, faith, or church? Ask away!

Topic Tags
4 Replies
cetiger
(@cetiger)
Eminent Member

A multi-part question, for the group:
What role does the Bible play in your life? What kind of Bible study would benefit you the most? What major obstacles do you wrestle with, in seeking a closer walk with God or Jesus through the words of Scripture?

I'm interested in replies about these things because (1) I've been creating and leading Bible studies for several decades, and don't know why younger people apparently aren't interested (my current class ranges in age from early 50s to late 80s) and (2) I taught an Intro to the New Testament class at a university 40 years ago, and have lately seen media articles about the same mix of students that I had: some come with an open mind to explore and discuss the Bible critically, while others come seeking to strengthen their faith in God or Jesus. Which group would you be in, and why?

1 Reply
DaveDeckard
Admin
(@davedeckard)

@cetiger I'll mention this and we'll try to drum up some interest!

jen
 jen
(@jen)

For what it's worth: I'm interested in the diversity of Scripture. A book of the Bible at a time interests me. Getting into that text. That perspective. That weirdness. Weirdness? I think that's the word I'm looking for. 😉 I'd rather discover what a book of the bible is doing/"does" as much as possible rather than starting from a framework of doctrine/topical meaning/etc. Which isn't to say those studies aren't legit. They can be. I'm just interested in how the text "works." 

1 Reply
cetiger
(@cetiger)

Eminent Member

@jen Jen, I appreciate what you're saying.  Each individual book has its own original place in time, its own intended audience, its own understanding of God, human nature, community, history, etc.  So I think your approach is right-on.  Thanks for sharing that.

Share: